Sunday, January 16, 2011

Making New Friends...can be very awkard...


Moved to Nashville, Tn last week...
Last night, I went to Chipotle. Because I was alone, I was exiled to the single’s bar. This bar (not the alcohol kind of bar) is where people who don’t have any friends sit at the window to watch their own reflection while they eat, giving the illusion they are sitting across from an old friend, very comforting. To my surprise, a guy came over and sat right next to me. He clearly could have sat elsewhere since the entire bar was deserted due to such a high influx of friends and families sharing community around the tables that night. I think he wanted to talk. But instead he stooped over his food, eating as quickly as possible to keep himself busy. Normally, I would say something, but I was vocally paralyzed when these repeated lyrics came blasting through the Chipotle speakers: “Just talk to me, come on and talk to me, just talk to me.” There we were, just sitting in our state of awkwardness, trying our best not to be caught looking at each other’s distorted reflections. You know, maybe this was all in my head. Maybe he didn’t even notice he sat next to me. Regardless, I couldn’t handle the situation so I left and went to go laugh in my car-alone.
After my fabulous date with my reflection, I went to Kroger. Truthfully, I just wanted some interaction with people, not food. Lonely people go the grocery store, and we can guarantee you we go through the live-being cashier line instead of the self-checkout. I was browsing the aisles for absolutely nothing when I over heard a very witty conversation on the topic of string cheese. I wanted to join in, so I casually asked if any of them happened to know where the green Tabasco sauce was located. Startled I interrupted them, and trying to conceal it they all made the puzzled thinking face and collectively pointed me off to another aisle at the other side of store…that was the end of that. Twenty minutes later I could not find the Tabasco green sauce, but I did mockingly find it on the tables of the next three restaurants I went in (it was not for sale).
$30 broker, with groceries that I had no use for (since I only eat out every meal in hopes to make friends), I was home again. I am taking Ukulele lessons, so I thought I’d practice. The problem is when I practice, my instrument needs constant tuning (not sure what that says about my playing). I attempted to tune, but by the end of my efforts I had managed to make my Ukulele sound like a Hawaiian with a bad cold. I went to bed.
I finally remembered my Apple password this morning, and downloaded the Pandora app on my iPhone. I feel much cooler now that I am being exposed to new music. It is important to know about bands that other people wouldn’t know of when living in Nashville. It makes you appear culturally versed and musically smarter than everyone else. It also looks good to own a pair of cowboy boots and designer skinny jeans.
Do you ever drive down the road and talk to your passenger seat as if your best friend was right there? I sure do-all the time! Well, I like to sing to my invisible friend, tell stories, funny jokes, and even give them a high-five once in a while. At this point I don’t care if you pass judgment, moving to Nashville, friendless, has been the humbling experience in many aspects. Either way, there is too much going on in my head not to share out-loud. Today I was talking to my friend/self in the car and I missed my exit to get to the church I was visiting. I strongly dislike Nashville roads. The interstates are crazy. I actually could see the church overlooking the interstate laughing at me...as I passed it twice. I thought about pulling off the interstate and rock climbing up the rocky hill to get to church. I ended up having church in a coffee shop where I knew there was at least a 65% guarantee of hot guys present. This normally sound statistic was a little inaccurate today, but that’s okay, because I did get some free coffee and Bible reading time. (Shout out to Hanson’s MmmBop for keeping it real on my iPod). I am looking for a church where I can get involved volunteering in the community. I don’t like typical church or trendy church. Just want something a bit less flashy and laid back, genuine and focused on Jesus. Diversity is nice too, not all whities (white people) would be ideal.
I am blogging again, because well for now it keeps me occupied (:

No comments:

Post a Comment